You had the baby, you have had sleepless nights, days that have turned into night, and exhaustion like you have never experienced before. But a thought keeps running through your mind about what you are going to do next. You may want to be a stay-at-home mom, you may want to work in a year, or you may want to work again when the kids are older. But how do you make sure you are prepared for that entry if it comes about.
You may be feeling a financial pull now that you are home and your partner is working full-time. You may feel like you want your own money or your own career, or you want to give yourself that intellectual time outside of being a mom.
Whatever your reason is, there are so many resources out there. You can always search career boards for part-time work or full-time careers. You can also find educational classes that may add to your current career or your current degree. You can enroll in a college with night classes and add some new items to your resume. Or, you can search out ways to make an income while in this child-rearing period.
Keeping yourself current, keeping your resume up to date, and continuing to offer yourself intellectual challenges will help you prepare for re-entering the workforce.
Follow these steps to Prepare Yourself for reentering the workforce:
- Prepare your resume, but before making it formal, write down all of the items you can think of that will market you the way you want.
- Search online for local opportunities posted on job boards. These may even be work-from-home opportunities.
- If you are looking to further your education, there are many online degree programs that you can complete in a short amount of time. You can complete many of these programs on your own schedule, or you can look into local colleges that may have classes that fit your lifestyle.
- If you decide to take a moment from further degrees, make sure to continually keep yourself updated. You can do this by volunteering, helping a friend using your expertise, or maybe find a hobby that can also utilize your work experience.
- The ideal new mom set-up would be to have a side job that doesn’t take too much time away from you and your baby and provides a small income while using your skills. Many different side money businesses can help you with this task while you pause on reentering the workforce. Who knows, you may find that small opportunity you are doing turns into something huge for your family.